Signups for Rogue Gamemodes: An Overcast Story close in 2 days

We always figured that a Lifeboat PC network would do well because of the influx of players from our PE side. So, we bought the OCN, figuring player count would fairly quickly grow, based on the PE momentum and the a few changes. We were figuring 5K players by Christmas.

It has proven very difficult to get and keep an influx of players. That is not anybody's fault. The default position would always be that things would keep on about where they were. The difficulty of making changes in PGM are real, but there is no guarantee that we would have had any more luck had we been able to change faster. The MC world, especially the Java side, is shrinking. All of the big server PC server networks are struggling. And truth be told PE side is struggling since we went all EULA compliant.

So, we simply cannot afford to keep the PGM network going as it is. it requires a very capable FT dev, in this case Jed. We put a bunch of resources toward this in the form of Junior Devs who had made really good contributions to our PE network. These guys are young, but good. But the bar to be able to make progress on PGM is very high, and it did not end up being a good fit.

We are now in exactly the same position Tony was when he could no longer afford to keep things going. But, we do want to have a Lifeboat PC network, so we are instead shifting over to a much simpler to maintain network. Jed is in the meantime trying to get a scaled back version of PGM to work on lower performance hardware. That's part of it, too. PGM requires a lot of high end hardware, and Hampton will require about 10 % of the total hardware budget. So, we are essentially scaling back to what we can afford. Both in terms of Hardware and Software.

But like most trials, there will be opportunities that come with this, too. I still see much opportunity for synergy between the PE and PC side. We have wanted to port some of our PE features over to PC, but unable to. With the simple PC architecture, I could see fairly soon: - Our fuzzy-logic based anti-cheats - The Treasure Hunt game (Hiding IRL stuff in chests) - Automated tournaments.

And, we have some stuff planned for PE that could really go big, but we don't want to say yet. But discount some of this because I am by nature always optimistic. Otherwise we would not have started this!

Thanks for the post.

May you explain what an "automated tournament" is? Because from what I've seen, what is called a tournament in Lifeboat PE doesn't share much with what is called a tournament over here. Other than that, is releasing PGM in an open source manner a posibility now that it will be unused?

shaarpie 24 days ago

On PE we run a couple tournaments a day, without much human intervention.

That does not replace a real "event", with planned for streamers, prizes, etc. But the players that participate really enjoy it. Maybe a weekly thing on Lifeboat PC?

Treasure hunt is where we hide stuff in chest. You open the right chest, you get free IRL sunglasses. Or a hat. Or even headphones sometimes. https://lbsg.net/contest/

Edited update: If you look at the comments in the pages you will even find some complaining about giving away free stuff! Haters gonna hate. Mercifully, you they comprise a pretty small fraction of community. But if winning a free pair of sunglasses bothers you, for the love of Pete don't win any contest! The the PE side, we use the give-aways as a way to engage the community.

A update to cover a few issues raised:

OCN Game Modes Jed has been working hard at this for many weeks. I think there is a good chance we'll be able to keep them. They are highly polished and I would sure like to! If we are able to do this we really have the best of all worlds.

Will we offer competitive play? Yes, longer term I hope more than ever before. With the difference being we would like to offer prizes.

Part of what's driving Hampton is wanting to be able to offer more game modes. We have introduced three new ones on PE recently: Prisons, UHC, Hot Rock. The latter is one the Omsk team dreamed up on their own. This goal is a little at odds with balancing offering too many games so you don't have enough to play.

But longer term Lifeboat is known for e-sports on PE and we would like this on PC.

Open source PGM We might yet. Tony is a bit of stakeholder in this too, so I might just ask him. Jed is generally in favor and thinks that we likely would get some contribution.

We open source lots on the PE side. At least at this time, the PE server community exists because we open source the server software. Someone else would have to step up to the plate if we did not, and right now I don't think anyone else is positioned to. There are other servers out there but we're generally the ones to reverse engineer protocol changes.

Complaints

You guys are all about making money! Well, we're partially about making money. You can't run a server network of any size without being at least dimly aware of it. But personally this has never been why I am doing this.

BTW, not that you asked, but, the number one reason it came to pass that I am running a Minecraft server is that it was a good project to do with my son, who started Lifeboat when he was 14. (He had been coding since the age of 7) It was a good father-son project, and we spent many hours on it together. My son has mostly moved on to other (generally software) interests, so that is no longer my driver.

At this point, I keep doing this as a mix of it making at least some business sense, but much more because in the PE side we provide a really positive environment for kids and young adults. Hydreon still makes IRL products and we could simply go back to doing just that and do fine.

So, the accusations of greed are only from people that have no clue what they are talking about.

Other random complaints The people that are going to complain and insult are going to do just that and there is not much we can do about that. Nothing I write will surely change that! And reasoned arguments only makes them madder. (Just watch!) No point in taking them on one by one. They would only come up with more.

But whiners are a minority. We have found any number of people on the former OCN team that are genuinely talented, dedicated, positive, and creative. We expect great things from them for the future. These are individuals that would be welcome in almost any community, and we sure hope we can keep them.

The future of Minecraft, and the Lifeboat network, is much brighter than you know!

Thanks for the post.

May you explain what an "automated tournament" is? Because from what I've seen, what is called a tournament in Lifeboat PE doesn't share much with what is called a tournament over here. Other than that, is releasing PGM in an open source manner a posibility now that it will be unused?

did* he delete the posts?

who removed my legacy sobsobsob

BB_8__ 24 days ago

No, I did. Don't spam.

BB_8__ 24 days ago

Yeah, looks like they're just gonna shut down any opression which sucks, only means you have to try harder.

@Brott It's a boycott not spam. They were boycotting from actual feedback/support by what they said, in no means was it spam.

Yeah, looks like they're just gonna shut down any opression which sucks, only means you have to try harder.

@Brott It's a boycott not spam. They were boycotting from actual feedback/support by what they said, in no means was it spam.

Utsuho 24 days ago

ty for support us

<3

That does not replace a real "event", with planned for streamers, prizes, etc. But the players that participate really enjoy it. Maybe a weekly thing on Lifeboat PC?

rteder 24 days ago

Could be, I guess.

What about the part of open sourcing PGM?

Utsuho 24 days ago

Not sure if you actually saw the posts, but it's was spam. Now let's keep it ontopic... if you need to discuss write to me on Discord instead.

We remove spam and rule violations, not oppression.

rteder 24 days ago

So like ranked deluxe?